Mini Tyke is for kids aged 4, 5 and 6 years old.
The Mini Tyke program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for Mini Tyke will be:
- 3-on-3 during the two 15 minute games
- Session times – 1 hour
- 15 minute warm-up / skills – 15 minute game – 15 minute skills session – 15 minute game
- Running time
- Players on floor for 3 minute intervals during the 2 – 15 minute games
- Play the width of the floor
- Contact Rule is ‘equal pressure‘
- No referees – coaches manage the floor
- No penalties – stop when necessary to explain infractions
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
Please consult ALA Regulation 15.15 for full Minityke rules.
The purpose of the Mini Tyke league is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of lacrosse. The focus of practices as well as games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
The CDLA has divided the Mini Tyke league up into 4 areas:
Deep South – Okotoks / High River
South Calgary – Axemen (house program) and Sabrecats (house program)
North Calgary – Hornets (house program), Knights, and Strathmore (3 clubs in NE program)
The reason for this is to allow for all games to be played close to home and reduce travel to and from games.
At the end of the season, a special “Mini Tyke Festival” is held where all teams come together to play one another in a fun and festive atmosphere.
Throughout the season, in order to encourage the development of this environment, there will be no standings for Mini Tyke. Please note that although standings are not kept, standard game results procedures must be followed (ie. sending in the game sheets).