Tyke is for kids aged 7 and 8 years old.
The Tyke program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for Tyke will be:
- Tyke sessions are 1 hour
- Tyke games are 1 hour floor time – 3 – 12min run time periods
- play full floor
- play 5 on 5 (with goalie)
- 3 x 3 nets
- referees on floor to call penalties and explain violations; players who repeatedly commit rule violations will be sent off the floor
- 3 minute shifts
- Contact rule is Place and Push.
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- After each goal and the end of each shift, play shall start with the goalkeeper of the team that was scored on or was in possession of the ball at the end of the shift and the defensive players shall fall back to their zone.
Please consult ALA Regulation 15.16 for full Tyke rules.
The purpose of the Mini Tyke and Tyke leagues is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of lacrosse. The focus of practices as well as games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
The CDLA has divided the Tyke leagues up into 4 areas:
Deep South – Okotoks / High River
South Calgary – Axemen and Sabrecats
North Calgary – Hornets, Knights and Rockyview
Rockyview – Rockyview
The reason for this is to allow for all games to be played close to home and reduce travel to and from games.
Score is kept and entered into the League Management System.